Saturday, March 15, 2014

Running My First Half

It always seems impossible until it’s done – Nelson Mandela
 

I ran my first half marathon.

I am so proud.

When your legs get tired run with your heart
 

I signed up for this race in December.
I bought my race day outfit in December, typical Bailey.
I trained January, February and March.
This race has been a big priority of mine.
I’ve put things on the back burner.
I’ve gotten mad at people for not understanding that long runs suck.
I’ve spent many hours on that treadmill. I would look at myself in the TV/mirror and cheer myself on, after all 120 minutes and 12 miles is a long time.
I got emotional and doubted myself too many times to count. I would start tearing up for multiple reasons during my runs: I was scared, I felt like I couldn’t finish, I was in pain or it would be proud moments, like seeing my families reaction when I crossed the finish line, or simply just reminding myself of how far I have come.

You are so much stronger than you think
 


One year ago today if you asked me to run a mile I would probably laugh at you.
Two years ago the HS mile was my worst enemy.
This girl was NOT a runner.
Everyone always talked about their love for running. I wanted to love it, but I tried. I knew I couldn’t make it a mile so how the heck would I love running?
I signed myself up for a race. I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO DO THIS. Signing up for a 10K forced me to run. I learned to love like to run. I didn’t want to be a failure, I didn’t want to question myself if I could have done better, I didn’t want to embarrass myself, so I knew I wanted to try hard, train hard, and feel like I accomplished something.
 


With courage you will dare to take risks, have the strength to be compassionate, and the wisdom to be humble. Courage is the foundation of integrity. – Mark Twain


I am going to rock this medal for a few days. Heck I will probably be wearing my sweatshirt and medal to bed tonight. No judging!  I am so very happy to be able to say I DID IT.

Running is cheaper than therapy
 


I will share more updates this week on the race itself, eating, drinking, clothing, etc. But let me tell you this - this run was not all fun and games. I was not smiling the whole time nor was I high on life.

I remember thinking at one point “if I stop here I can call my parents and they can come get me”. I was tired and I was done. I was ready to sit down. Then I reminded myself I am not an effing quitter, I maybe a bitcher but I am NOT a quitter. So I kept going, reminding myself it’s ok to walk, it’s ok to slow down. IT’S GONNA BE OKAY BAILEY.
 


When the champs who finish in under 1 hour and 30 minutes passed me on the way back I remember thinking ‘holy effing mother of god. HOW???” I so badly wanted to jump over the line and pretend I was done and shave off about 5 miles.

They say it’s all mental. Amen to that. I was talking to myself, encouraging myself, I was my own cheerleader the whole time. My music was on point. The last mile I played “Eye Of The Tiger” on repeat. Best decision ever. This song is my jam.
 


I remember being at about mile 8 and wanting to be done. My legs were tired. And so I prayed to God and it went a little something like this “God, I have 5 miles left. I KNOW I can do this. Help my legs remember they can do this too. Help my back remember to stay upright and not hunch over. Remind my lungs to breath. And most of all remind my I am going to finish strong.” It’s funny, it kind of worked. At least for a few more miles. Then I said another prayer.
 


When I got to mile 12 I remember thinking I am almost there!! Only about 9 minutes until I am DONE. But then the finish line wasn’t coming, I kept thinking I must’ve gone the wrong way, where in the heck is the finish line??? It seemed so long between mile 12 and 13. Even though I upped my pace it still seemed to take forever. Then I found it! I don’t think I have ever been more excited to see my family. Running through the finish line and hearing “Bailey Johnson, Mahtomedi, MN” that was the best. I. Was. Done.

I had two goals: finish under 2 hours and 30 minutes and don’t walk. I am proud to say I achieved both goals.
 


I am looking forward to my next race, to see how much I can push myself, hopefully PR, how fast I can get my legs moving. But for now and the upcoming weeks I am going to focus on weights vs. cardio during the week and long runs on Sundays – my next race is 4/19 and it’s a 15K (9 ish miles).

Huge congrats to Catherine who also ran this race. It was also her first half! I don’t like to say tons of good things about myself and brag but I am sooooo proud of Catherine and myself. WE DID IT.

A huge thank you to my very supportive family for coming to the race today! And to my friends and family who sent loving texts and good vibes my way, THANK YOU. XO.


IF YOU CAN DREAM IT, YOU CAN DO IT

1 comment: