Tuesday, October 29, 2013

My Lovin' For Soup

Can we take a minute to reflect on yesterday's blog... My Halloween costume! I didn't even tell y'all what I was... If you couldn't figure it out I was dressed up to be from the show Toddlers and Tiaras. Thought I would share that!

Moving on....


I made it very clear to my family when I went home for Fall Break that I wanted to cook. I, A) wanted yummy home cooked food but I mostly wanted, B) food to bring back to school.

My mama, sister and I did some healthy cooking and I am so excited to share these recipes!

Soups are so yummy to have for Fall/Winter because they are a warm addition to your meal; however, buying soup in a can is sort of scary. Do you know how processed that chicken is in a container of Campbell’s Chicken Noodle Soup? Did you happen to notice that the can of Tomato soup you’re eating has HFCS? Things you wouldn’t expect. The best way to avoid things like this is make your soup from scratch.

Two soups from my kitchen to yours:
Chicken Quinoa-
A favorite of mine! My mom makes the best homemade turkey or chicken soup. (you choose what you want for the meat or make vegetarian)

Turkey/Chicken Quinoa Soup:
Organic Chicken Broth 32 Oz
4 Large Celery’s (Sticks, not whole stalk)
3 Large Carrots
1 Large Onion
2 Cups of Chicken or Turkey
1 Cup of Quinoa
pepper!

I love this onion trick





Cook quinoa and meat separate. Cook vegetables in microwave first. Mix all ingredients on stove. Serve!


I got a little lesson on cooking quinoa. I was doing
it very wrong. My mom was upset ha I just laughed.
Hey, it still turned out

What I love so much about this recipe is everything’s healthy!! There is no feeling bad when you’re eating this folks. We use organic broth, which doesn't have much salt, so people who like their salt might like to add more. You can also tweak this recipe if you want more veggies or turkey/chicken, etc. I always love a warm bowl of soup in the winter with a peanut butter sandwich, dipping it is pretty good too :)  (Side note: I like soggy foods, I love soggy bread! Many people think this is weird... But whatever I accept that people think I am weird.)

White Chicken Chili-
Another favorite. Lets be real here- red chili is amazing but I don’t eat red meats anymore really. This is a different taste but still sort of the same. Similar to the recipe above it is all healthy…. Score.
White Chicken Chili:
1 T Olive Oil
1 Onion (medium)
2 (4oz) Cans of Chopped Green Chilis
2 t. Ground Cumin
2 (15.8 oz) Cans of Northern Beans
1 (14.5 oz) Can of Organic Chicken Broth
1 ½ Cups Chicken Breast Finely Chopped
extras- shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa







In large skillet cook onion in oil for 4 minutes. Add chilies and cumin; cook for additional 2 minutes. Add beans and chicken broth; bringing to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken. Serve!!

Try these recipes out. Let me know if you like them or if you think they need to have something changed. I would love to hear : )


No comments:

Post a Comment