Sunday, July 28, 2013

Mint Chocolate Chip Avocado Ice Cream


You are probably thinking I am crazy. But yes I made it and yes it was delicious. It tasted like mint chocolate chip ice cream- not even like it would be healthy. Which is a bonus because it is pretty healthy compared to a pint of Ben and Jerry's (don't get me wrong, I love Ben and Jerry's).

I love that I can have a guilt free treat. Just because you eat healthy does not mean you don't like to have treats. DQ, Nelsons, Cup n' Cone, Culvers - they are all still my favorites. I am trying to find new healthier dessert options so I can enjoy dessert more often.

I got this recipe from my trainer/ nutritionist. Everything in it is fairly healthy, although it may seem high in calories. Avocados are filled with good fats, vitamins and fiber. I try to eat at least half an avocado a day. Usually I eat them on my salad instead of dressing.

This recipe is a simple one that doesn't even require an ice cream maker. What is better?!



Mint chocolate chip avocado Ice cream:
1 frozen avocado (peel/slice before you put in freezer but put it back into shell)
1 serving of vanilla protein (I use Isagenix)
1/2 of lemon (use the juice)
1 tsp mint OR peppermint extract
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (any milk would work)
1 cup of ice
1/4 cup dark mini chocolate chips (add at the very END to avoid blending the chips)

I did two things different; first, my avocados were already in the freezer so I took them out to sit on the counter for 10 minutes before I cut them up. Another thing that I did differently was I didn’t have a lemon so I just used lemon juice from a container. Both of these we miner changes and the recipes turned out just fine.


I couldn't wait to try it!
I also LOVE whip cream. I got this whip cream from Trader Joe’s because I know it is all natural and all real (sugar, cream, vanilla).





Enjoy!!

1 comment: