Friday, January 24, 2014

My First Cookbook

For most of my life I have waited for dinner to be served, I’ve let my mom prepare the food, I’ve waited for the pizza to come to the front door or for High School lunches I would pack my little brown paper bag with Yoplait strawberry yogurt, a sandwich, a dessert and chips. But hey, I had that Yoplait so that was healthy right?

Nope.

As I have made changes to my life throughout the past year I have started to take over the cooking for myself and a lot of nights my family too.

My mom got my sister Bria and I our first cookbook for Christmas. I was so excited!! I could finally write some healthy recipes and have my own recipes written down, etc. But first I went through our family recipes….


I will be honest; our family has TONS of recipes. Lots that I don’t think we’ve ever used many of these were also unhealthy. Many that used processed ingredients. But I am not going to lie I really enjoy many of the recipes (like the unhealthy ones, my favorite is Raspberry Cream Cheese Jello Dessert. YUM, but not so healthy).

So I spent hours going through our family recipes and writing out the ones I really loved. It was not as fun as I thought it would be.

Hard to see because it's so small but here
I wrote out easy swaps to make for healthier eating.

Chobani substitutes 
But what is also cool is my mom is obsessed with keeping old stuff/ things from her grandma. So I now have a few recipes from my great grandma’s and my two grandma’s, written in their handwriting. Right now I think it’s kinda cool, in 20 years I know I will really appreciate it.

Some family recipes that are written in my Grandma's writing. 


Have a great weekend! Sunday I am planning on running 8 miles on the treadmill… I will need some prayers! Updates on Monday, OF COURSE :)

No comments:

Post a Comment