Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Watermelon Fruit Cake

“Welcome to your twenties”
“These are the best years of your life”
“You made it”

That is what everyone kept telling me yesterday!

And what I kept thinking was “oh shit, I’m in my twenties and this is when shit gets real, I get a big girl job, I buy a house, I marry my husband, I pop out some babies, I have bills to pay”

Got me a little nervous!

But the amount of texts, calls, Facebook messages, etc. I got made me feel so loved. I do not care for birthdays because I hate when all of the attention is on me; however, I was grateful for all of the love I received but this one was one of the best/funniest!


So the cake my sister made… I had been pinning fruit cakes on Pinterest and she caught on. She is a smart girl, what can I say. She said it took over two hours and the hardest part was cutting the watermelon to make it round. Overall it is not that hard to make just time consuming.


First, cut the watermelon in a cake shape. She decided to make it two layered having the second layer be REALLY small.


Then whip the whip cream or buy whip cream. Bria bought organic heavy cream, added organic sugar and vanilla – then she whipped it up. It was tasty.



Put the whip cream on the ‘cake’.


Add nuts to the bottom. My cake had chopped almonds!


Decorate with fruit of choice; my cake had blackberries and raspberries with one strawberry for decoration.



Pros: the cake it beautiful, it is healthier than a regular cake, it was yummy. Cons: your birthday is one time a year so a regular cake will not kill you, time consuming, expensive {add up all of the fruit and whip cream; however, it is cheaper than store bought}, cake should be eaten the day it is made or the watermelon gets everything wet.


Overall I would ask for this cake again if I knew others would eat it or if I was at a party. This year only my mom, dad and I ate it and we had to toss the rest :(



Only 365 more days until I can use the excuse ‘it is my birthday’… Let the countdown begin.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment