Monday, July 7, 2014

Brewing Kombucha

A little over a month ago I started brewing my own kombucha. I have wanted to share the details for a while, but honestly before I shared anything I wanted to make sure I did not kill anyone with my homemade batches.

Kombucha is a fermented tea drink that has been around for centuries. The high concentration of b-vitamins, digestive enzymes and glucaric acid in kombucha are credited with a variety of health effects, including detoxification, improved digestion, increased liver function and many more! To read more visit Synergy Drinks website.

{If that last paragraph did not make sense that is ok. In English, Kombucha is an over priced drink with many, many, many benefits - I believe every person should drink kombucha daily}

I was first introduced to kombucha by a Trumi trainer, Sara last summer. I did not like that taste at first, but it grew on my. The only problem was the price! I was spending about $28 on a drink and I knew that was not something I could afford everyday.  Sara told me how to make it and now I am brewing it weekly!



If you want the benefits from kombucha but also still want some bucks in your wallet my suggestion is to brew your own. I also heard that if it sits in your fridge long enough it turns into beer. Sayyy- whatttt.

What you will need:
A gallon size glass jar or bigger
1 gallon or more of brewed sweetened tea cooled to room temperature
1 kombucha SCOBY {more details below}
1 kitchen towel or coffee filter and rubber band

Instructions:
Prepare the tea using 3-4 family size tea bags or 8-10 regular tea bags. I like doing 3 black, 4 green + ADD 1 cup or ORGANIC sugar {yes, I realize that is a lot, but it is crucial to add the organic sugar}


Pour tea into a gallon sized jar-leaving room at the top


Add 1 cup of a previous batch of kombucha or a store bought kombucha
Carefully place the SCOBY on the top of the liquid. It should float but if it does not float no worries. Do NOT stick your hand in the liquid, ever.


Cover jar with a coffee filter or towel and place rubber band over it.
Place the jar in a warm dark location (70-75 degrees) and let it sit for 5-15 days. I usually do 7.
Once it is time to drink your kombucha you can put it into smaller jars or leave it in a big jar with a lid. Keep the SCOBY because you can continue using it for new batches. Every 1-2 batches your SCOBY will have a baby, which you can throw away or give to a friend so they can start brewing.

I reuse the jars weekly after placing them in the dishwasher. 


Baby SCOBYS can stay in a jar with a lid. 




Side notes:
The SCOBY – no one knows where the first SCOBY came from but it is crucial when brewing kombucha. If you want to start brewing kombucha  you can ask a friend for their Scoby or buy one online.
Once your kombucha is brewed and in individual containers you will have ‘boogers’. It is totally normal and totally ok to drink these. Do not let them scare you, but if you are scared you can strain the drink right before drinking.
I drink 16 oz. a day. At first I recommend drinking 8 oz. or less to test it with your body. Eventually your body will get use to it. IF you drink too much in one day you might be going to the bathroom a lot {but it would not harm you}.

This seems like A LOT of information but it is honestly so easy. Each week I spend maybe 20 minutes to save $28! Win – win!

Have questions? Comment below or email me!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment