Monday, October 20, 2014

Marathon Day

The alarms went off at 4:45, 4:50 and 4:55 AM on Sunday, October 19th. At first I wanted to jump out of bed to get my phone. I was so anxious! But then it was freezing outside of my comfy bed – Holiday Inn you out did yourself.


Instead I started to eat breakfast in bed at 5:00 am. I had the following: core power protein shake, pumpkin English muffin, a banana, oatmeal + almond butter + chocolate chips. I also had lots of spark and water!

DO YOU is my favorite saying. I tell my Troopers all
the time "Just Do YOU!" 



We got changed, put body glide all over our bodies, I wrote the water stops + food stops on my arm, we did some moving so we could get everything flowing/produce some bowel movements and got last minute details figured out.

Too early for anything

I was obviously cold and Catherine
is just always smiley :)


We got ourselves together and were out the door by 6:45 to get to the race by 7:00. When we got there it was FREEZING and we were not ready to be in the cold but we sucked it up! We walked, did lunges, stretches, went to the bathroom, people watched, etc. for about 45 minutes. When it was time to ditch our sweatshirts it was very chilly – but we knew we would be hot in 5 minutes after running. People ran in long pants and long sleeves, hats and gloves, zip ups, etc. I was hot just looking at them.

One of my favorite stretches! We call it the
good morning stretch. 

What beauties at 7:00 am ;)


So I got with my pace group. I started with the 10:18 per mile – overall 4h30m race time. I always start fast then slow down (terrible habit). If I start with the 5h pace group I would have ended with the 5h30m pace group. So I knew to start fast then find my pace.



Miles 1-5 were great. I popped myself a rehydrate gel and felt awesome. Then there was a massive hill that was very difficult but I continued to hold a pace and was ahead of the 10:18 group.
Miles 6-11 were painless and felt easy. Yes there were tons of hills. And every time I saw a hill (up) I would say 5034 swear words in my head and ask myself why? I would prep myself by saying “I am about to make this effing hill my bitch”. I would tell myself as long as I get to the very top there is going to be one of two things: a down hill or flat land. And I knew I could handle those.
Mile 11-14 I saw my family earlier than expect, at mile 11, and it gave me that extra push to keep moving. They were right at the top of a hill so when I saw them I tried to sprint to the top. I had to go to the bathroom at mile 11 but I did not want to stop in front of my family. So I held it until the 13.1 stop – I zoomed in to the outhouse and took my pants down. I don’t even think I wiped properly but I did not want to lose time.
Mile 15 was when it got tough. I don’t know why, I had ran over 15 miles multiple times. Maybe it was the fact I lose my pace group? Maybe it was knowing I still had 11 miles left? Maybe it was stopping to go to the bathroom because my pace dropped? I don’t know. I took another gel and put my music on a little higher (Umm my ears are still ringing and it is Monday morning). I decided if I thought positive thoughts only positive things would happen.
Miles 16 – 20 were good. Mile 17.5-18 was completely downhill. I felt on top of the world. Things that were going through my head: “this effing rocks” “I love life” “this is amazing” “God bless fu*king America” “Thank you Jesus!” “this is the shit you will remember Bailey! Take in the beautiful view, all these fall trees!”   Yes, I had foot pain but I knew if I got to 20 I would only have one 10K left – and I kept telling myself I do 10Ks for FUN. Heck I did one last weekend!
Mile 20 I remember feeling blah. I was trying to figure out if I could make it in under 5 hours – so I was basically doing math and my math was so messed up I was estimating myself to arrive at 5:20. That is how out of it I was…. So I popped in some skittles and moved my butt. Then at mile 23 ish is where I saw my family for the third and final time so I kept moving. I kept telling myself 3 miles only! I run three miles to the store Lulu Lemon from my apartment multiple times a week, so I just kept telling myself I was running to Lulu then I would be done. I ended up getting such sharp pain in my left calf that I was limping. There were a few giant hills at the end and people were walking. I wanted to stop so bad but I thought “why run 23 miles and then at mile 23 start walking?” I also reminded myself I wanted to make it in under 5 hours, if I did not I was have to sign up for another fricken stupid ass marathon at some point in my life – and at mile 23 I did not want to think about ever running again!
Mile 23-26 were kind of a blur. I know I was dying and I was in pain but I also knew the finish line was near.
The point when I could see the chute I knew I could do it. I was filled with so many emotions! I saw people that surprised me for coming, I saw my friend’s parents and I saw Katie. I crossed the finish line and glanced up hoping to see my parents, where I gave them a big hug and my eyes filled with tears. I was SOO proud, happy and excited, but in so much pain. I remember mumbling to my mom “pain, my foot”. But I got my shiz together and got some food and went to the finish line to wait for Catherine.

After the race we got some Chipotle and that was good. We need some actual food, meat, protein! Then we headed home and I chilled out all night. Today I have a massage and a movie/lunch date with a girlfriend from college. I am extremely sore in my quads!


Would I do it again? Probably yes, but never the Mankato Marathon because there were way too many flipping hills for my liking. Sometime this week I am going to share all the awesome signs my family made – they seriously made the run so much better.

post signature

2 comments:

  1. You did awesome! I just recently ran my first half-marathon! Do not know if I am willing enough to run a full but we shall see! So very proud of you! Keep up your awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on running your first half! I will say I am still super sore and in a lot of pain still two days after - but the feeling of accomplishing something so big is worth running 26.2 miles. Good luck in whatever your future running goals are :)

      Delete