Monday, September 7, 2015

How To Import A Recipe Into My Fitness Pal

When I started to get serious about tracking my food I also started to stay away from making meals because I did not know the exact macros (carbs, proteins, fats). Looking back, this is sad to me because I do not need to be perfect, but I wanted to do my best so I did not make some of my favorite soups, meat dishes, appetizers, etc.

A few months ago I figured out how to import a recipe into My Fitness Pal and get the accurate macros. My life was changed forever - and it is pretty easy!

When I made sloppy joe’s the other day I took pictures of the whole process and hopefully my explanation will be easy to understand!

Step one:
Get all your ingredients together
(for me this was my RAW meat, ketchup, mustard, onion, brown sugar and vinegar)


Step two:
Weigh ingredients one by one – RAW, before you cook them
(for example, I weighed my onion and then my meat – next I cooked them. When I went to add my ketchup I weighed out my serving(S). So, my recipe called for ½ cup, which is 8 tablespoons of ketchup. One serving of ketchup is 16g.





Step three:
All your ingredients are weighed and are in your ‘dish’. Once your dish is done cooking you will weigh it ALL.
(For example, when I put my sloppy joe’s into the container I weighed them)




Step four:
LOG IT!
(You go to create new recipe à enter ingredients manually à title the recipe à add the serving size, which is the TOTAL weight of the whole recipe {found in step three} à add each ingredient RAW,  search under ‘USDA’ if there is no label on packaging à count the grams or measurements of your choice. For example, one serving of ketchup is 16g but I used 329g, so I log it as 20.5 servings.



Step five:
EAT IT! Every time you go to have your meal you will simply select the recipe then weigh it. Whatever it weighs is the ‘serving’ size for your meal.



If I am making a recipe for home that I will eat all week I go through this process. It may seem overwhelming but honestly it gets really easy. When I go out or go to someone else’s house I just go with the flow and eat their food, no macros counted ;)

For this super yummy, easy and pretty darn healthy sloppy joe recipe click HERE. I timed this recipe by 5 that is why it weighs so much and I have so much meat up there :)  

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment