Thursday, December 4, 2014

Are They Judging Me?

Are you ever exercising and looking at the person next to you wondering if they are judging you? Critiquing you? Complimenting you good looks? Laughing at you? Admiring you? Smelling your ass sweat? Checking out your brand of workout clothes? I mean they could just be thinking how boss you are!

Unfortunately I am SO guilty of this. When I am sprinting my heart out at speed 11, I wonder if the girl next to me is wondering what the hell I am doing and why the treadmill is making some weird sounds {because lets be honest it never gets this much action}.

Or the runner on the OPPOSITE side of the street while running outside. I look over and they are cruising, like what? I am pacing under 10 minutes/mile and they are flying by me. I wonder if they think I am a turtle? Are they judging for me slowing down while walking on ice? Are they laughing because I took the break at the stop light instead of trying to make it through before the crosswalk hand goes up? {when I get a break at the stoplight my heart skips a beat because it is so happy – finally I can catch my breath}.

If I am lifting and accidently grunt is the person to my left laughing at me? Are they thinking maybe the weight is too heavy? What if I chose lighter weights and do more reps, are they judging because I am weak?

This is when I start the POSTIVE self-talk. I literally say to myself:

NO ONE KNOWS YOUR STORY. DO YOU. DO NOT WORRY ABOUT OTHERS.

CONTINUE TO DO WHAT YOU WANT. WHO CARES WHAT THEY THINK. YOU ARE DOING SO WELL. YOU ARE DOING THE BEST YOU CAN BAILEY MCKENZIE!

Literally, that is what I say to myself. Because at the end of the day they are exercising for some reason, whether it be to get a rocking body, to compete at a race/show, to feel good or so they can go home and eat a pint of ice cream {no judging} ------- They SHOULD NOT be exercising to critique the girl across the gym.

It is hard to admit that I care what others think about me. Especially when working out, I mean I am a certified trainer and I train kids to NOT worry about what others think. But the truth is I struggle and I know I have a few friends and family members that do too!


One thing that stuck out to me while I was going through training to become a trainer was when another trainer brought up this situation:
*Client looks nervous*
Trainer: “what is the matter? Are you worried about what others are thinking about you?”
Client: “yes”
Trainer: “Well guess what? They are worried about themselves, their own form, speed, performance; they are not worrying about you. Remember that.”


So next time I am at the gym I am going to remember to worry about me, myself and I. I will not worry about what Sally and Bob are thinking. AND THAT IS IT.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment