Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Whole30

A lot of people I know from Trumi have been doing the Whole30 and they LOVE it. I asked Katie and Catherine if they would want to do it and they said yes. I am thinking sometime after the marathon but the more I look into it the more nervous I get!

What is the Whole30?
30 days or one month of omitting certain foods from your diet:
  • no alcohol
  • no grains
  • no legumes
  • no dairy
  • no MSG, sulfites, carrageenan
  • no added sugar (pure maple syrup, honey, coconut sugar, etc.) or artificial sugar (stevia, splenda, equal, etc.)

You can use fruit juice as a sweetener, clarified butter or ghee, vinegar, salt, green legumes.

Alright, so it seems like there is nothing to eat but meat and veggies, huh? I feel you! I am nervous. I eat LOTS of fruits and veggies now but this seems overwhelming. While marathon training I eat a bagel before my long runs (because honestly eggs and bacon just don’t do it for ME).

I have been slowly trying new to incorporate Whole30 into my life and eating like I am doing the Whole30 with an occasional treat. I ideally want to do the Whole30 the week after my marathon OR next summer. Katie mentioned farmers markets and I agree with her that it would be ideal to do it in the summer with all the fresh foods.

So here are some foods you can still eat:
Meat (basically anything but it has to be high quality (no added stuff, it should be organic, etc.). I bought bacon from Whole Foods that is NO sugar added and it was $6.99 for the package!)
Fruits (dessert!)
Vegetables (main carbs along with fruit!)
Nuts (must been JUST the nut, no salt, roasting, etc.)
Coconut milk (make it into a whip cream!)
Almond flour

What will be the hardest for me is on the go snacks (no protein bars) AND the weekends. I see Kyle or my friends on the weekends and I enjoy a drink or two sometimes.

I will be sharing some of my meals! The few I have tried are YUMMY!!


{I am not a professional on Whole30, I have just asked a lot of questions OR googled a lot. I really enjoy THIS website! If you want to join in on the Whole30 when I do it with my friends we would LOVE to have you}

post signature

1 comment:

  1. This is super interesting!! I'm gonna look more into it too!!

    ReplyDelete