Thursday, September 11, 2014

My Memories Of 9/11


Every year when 9/11 roles around I think everyone is a little quiet. People post a lot about remembering 9/11, which is awesome. We should never forget the firefighters who lost their lives, the people in the planes, the family members, the soldiers who now fight for our country and so many more people. But sometimes I think people are lost on what to say. Especially me.  Everyone remembers 9/11 like it were yesterday. 


I remember it like this: I was in 2nd grade and my parents dropped me off at daycare before school so they could get to work. My mom kissed me goodbye and I shoved her away because I wanted to play before the school bus came to bring me to school. That day was exciting too, because the whole second grade was going to see a play!
All of a sudden the school lunch lady, Marge, came running into the room I was playing in. She was in shock, in tears, mouth to the ground, she could not form a sentence. But she got the teacher to follow her to the small teacher lounge where the TV was on. 
Not sure how or why some of the kids followed, but I am nosey and did not want to be left out of this shocking event that had Marge in tears. 
We went into the room and the TV was literally planes blowing up a building. I was kind of confused. But the teachers were all crying and kept pointing at the screen. 
We sat in that room until the bus to go to school came. When we got to school everyone was silent. People were giving people hugs like they hadn't seen each other in year. But there were no smiles, all tears. And then our field trip got cancelled! Cancelled. I was upset (remember I was in 2nd grade). That day at school we did not do much. I remember hearing there was a bad accident but that was it. No words if terrorists, danger, threats, hundreds dying, war, nothing. 
When I got home my parents tried to explain it a little better, but how much can you explain to someone who is 7 without scaring them to sleep in their own bed?
Over the years I've gathered more information. I find it so fascinating to watch documentaries on 9/11 or other TV specials. My mom included 9/11 in my scrapbook with an amazing collage of pictures (I will share next week maybe). I will forever be grateful for the firefighters who helped. I will forever remember all of the amazing people who did not get the enjoy their trip because they were caught in the middle. Or simply remembering all the loved ones that did not get to give that hug to their dad when he returned from a business trip. 


9/11 Never Forget

No comments:

Post a Comment