Sunday, September 14, 2014

How I am Fueling For 20 Miles

This past weekend I ran my longest run EVER and my longest training run. 20 miles.






I started at 7:00 am and finish a little after 10:50. I paced at 11:34 and I felt really good. I actually ran 20 miles faster than 18 miles, I think it was the chocolate chips I put in my oatmeal.


So I said it went really well, which is true, until about mile 18. I was sooo done. To the point where I was saying, “eff this, my life sucks, I am so done”. Out loud. I wanted to walk so bad those last two miles but I told myself NO walking, not because walking is bad, but because I knew I could physically handle running the last two miles. I knew I could do it, so why stop? I also wanted to finish in under 4 hours and I knew walking would have be at about 3:55 and I was not about to take chances.

I finished and was on top of the world. This is a feeling I will miss when the marathon is over. That feeling that I have gotten weekly as I have added mileage. It goes something like this, ‘you are a rock star. You are amazing. You can do anything. So many people are still sleeping. My god you rock at life.’ Such a confidence booster! 

I find long runs to be more fun than short runs. I think I am more motivated. Saturday I had so much motivation. Friends who text encouraging words. Knowing I have friends who are long running but they are NOT quitting. Then the girls I am training to run a 5K – they want to quit but I am a drill Sargent nice person and do not let them, so why would I be allowed to quit? I passed 5 people I knew yesterday, my mom, aunt and 3 babysitting families. The best was going through my neighborhood; the neighbor gave me the ‘whoot whoot’ and a thumbs up. Like yes rock on neighbor who is 50!

I also had a kick ass breakfast yesterday. I use to only eat a bagel thin with some jelly before my long runs while training for my half. WHAT! That is crazy talk. Now I feast… These past two weeks have looked like this:


Above was this past Saturday. I had toast with PB and honey, oatmeal with PB and chocolate chips and raspberries. Those chocolate chips were not planned but at 6:30 am they looked so fricken good. It was an awesome combo! Below is last weekend. Toast with PB, eggs and raspberries. Both meals were great fuel for my runs. I think for my marathon I will do toast, oatmeal, a banana and some sort of protein - probably a Core Power shake because we will be in an hotel room.



I am feeling confident and ready to rock this marathon. And I promise I will keep marathon talk to a minimum this week :)





post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment