Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Marathon Prep

I hate to do this again, I mean back-to-back posts on my marathon, I am probably killing you.

But I thought it would be fun to write up a post on training, how it is going, what I am doing, what I am eating, what supplements I take, what cool running gadgets I have been using, etc. So buckle up and get ready for some fun!


First things first: I am not a pro. This is what has worked for me. I love getting new ideas, so if you have an idea SHARE IT with me :)



Shoes. I bought a new pair this summer after my second half. I knew I would need a new pair before I started training for my marathon. There are running shoes, there are cross-training shoes and there are fashionable tennis shoes. Make sure you get running! I love going to actual running stores so the can help me. For my cross- training and fashion tennis shoes I go to Dicks or Sports Authority. My favorite running stores are Run N’ Fun and The Running Room. My all time favorite brand is Brooks, I feel like if I jump to a new brand I'll be cheating on Brooks.


A watch or app to track! I have a Garmin watch that was probably the best purchase of my life. I was hesitant at first because I did not use it much, but now that I run outside 3 days a week I love it. I like it compared to the phone apps because it does not use data. I use to use Map My Run and found that to be a great app.


A water pack. This past weekend I forgot mine at my apartment when I went to my parents so I placed one water about 2 miles in, ran to the gas station a mile 6 and got two waters, drank one right there, then carried the other one to mile 10 where I dropped it. What a pain in the rear end. If you are running distance, especially in the summer I highly recommend a water pack. I have the fuel belt four custom holder.  I know Catherine has a backpack and she loves it. The nice thing about the one she has, is that it holds 70 oz. of water.


Socks. I usually get the cheapest socks from Target and every once in awhile high socks from Jcrew or Gap if they are on sale. No way in hell I would ever think that I would spend $17 on socks! But they are totally worth it. If you are cheap like me Gap has some nice athletic ones that work when my fancy ones are in the wash.



Fueling your body correctly with supplements. Everyone has their own opinion on supplements, I personally try not to use them a lot except for on race day. But when my runs are over 15 miles I for sure have at least one Gu pack. Another great brand is Hammer Gel.


Body Glide will be your best friend if you want to avoid chafing. I usually lather this on under my chest where my heart rate monitor sits, I put it where my underwear line sits and I recently put it where my pants have a draw string.




Something to hold your shit. A FLIPBELT. I love mine. I have seen other runners with fanny packs, but this is actually fashionable and stays up. I was worried it would not stay over my perfectly flat stomach that has abs, but it stays up just fine (< - - that was sarcasm, but seriously it stays up with my stomach pouch).


Cross training. When you are preparing for a race it is super important to use other parts of your body too. I love spinning or lifting weights.




Good music. I am this sweet, kind, innocent Christian girl Monday- Saturday, but Sundays when I long run a whole different side comes out. I listen to the most innappropriate, ghetto, rap, swear word crap music there is. I sometimes feel like God is looking down at me jamming, just shaking his head. My
Motivation. My motivation comes from Pinterest or my friends. But I know other people make motivation walls or cool running walls.



Good headbands. If you are a girl you get me. My favorite brands that actually stay in are Athleta, Urbanhalo and Lulu Lemon. TOTALLY worth all $17. (Lulu’s are cheapest at only $12).


The only thing I think I am missing is FOOD. I think everyone likes the subject of food, and if you don’t, you might be on the wrong blog :) I will talk food in the next couple of days. What I eat from day to day, what I eat right before a run, what I eat during, what I eat after, and how many fricken carbs I get to enjoy on my long run days.

I am enjoying having a schedule that has me running weekly and running distances that I never imagined I could. But I am ready for the stress to be over! I just want to cross the finish line and check it off my bucket list. But for now I will enjoy it, enjoy my 20 mile run this weekend, enjoy a few more longs, because before I know it, it will be October 19th and I'll be standing at the start line with my tail between my legs wondering why the f*** I signed up for a marathon.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment