Monday, October 5, 2015

TC Marathon

I finished TC Marathon with a 17 minute PR with an official time of 4:39:58. I wanted to be under 4:40, which meant a sprint to the finish line and I am so proud of myself. When I got to the finish line I bent over and had to catch my breath, then my legs started to get super sore because I stopped. All I wanted was some real food, no sugar nonsense, I was sick of sugar/gels. I had the best post-race juicy lucy! But I will give a little recap!
 
Ekk! This picture makes my heart happy. My mom got this right before
crossing the finish line. I saw Kyle and his mom (I am waving at them) and I
had a huge smile on my face. I cannot wait to see the professional pictures, I might
just have to purchase one!

First, I have to say that the Map My Run app is very off on my phone. I started my watch when I crossed the start line but when I got to mile one my watch said .75 miles. I had a panic attack that I would not be able to pace myself so I turned on MMR, which I do enjoy because it tells you your pace/split pace. But it was so off – I turned it on one mile late and it still said I ran 26.33 miles (it should said 27.33) at a 10:14 pace; however, my watch said 26.28 miles at a 10:39 pace. My watch caught up to the correct mileage and although a 10:14 pace sounds good I will go with my watch!



As you can see from my splits I ran the first 1-17/18 miles fast, way too fast actually. But I felt good and I physically could not slow down – I mean the crowds of people were amazing and I had so much energy. I would feel like slowing down then bam see my family or see a super awesome sign. There was never a span of more than 100 feet without spectators. Truly amazing!
 
Best friends since 8th grade ~ I am so happy
she was able to come. Love her!
This girl. My oh my! Amazing-ness. Woke up to drop
me off at 5:30, cheered for me, made signs, indulged in
post race food, had some Netflix and chill nights with me a few nights leading up
to the race (so I did not have to be a loner alone).
Hilarious sign! Jake is a trooper for coming and cheering
us on. Bummed we missed brunch, but we can raincheck it ;)
I felt really good in the beginning and it was not until miles 20- 23 when I started to say swear words in my head. Miles 20-23 was straight up hill. No break. My self talk was at an all time high, I reminded myself I trained hills weekly and I was going to rock the shit out of the hills. Although I felt like I was rocking the shit out of them, I was actually crawling (I even had a 12 minute mile). I wanted to walk but I didn’t. I wanted to stop but I didn’t. I wanted to cry but I didn’t. I preserved and pushed my way to the end.
The kids I train made me cards, signs and gave me
a gift card this past week to a running store. My family brought the sign
so I could show the kids how much it meant to me to
have their support. It makes me feel good because for months I
teach them about not giving up, trying their best, do things that scare
them and then I get to be in the role of the person who does not give up. I am excited
to have my own kids someday so I can teach them about perseverance (like many years away).
Loved having him there with his mama! We are almost at
the one year mark of dating - oh la la!!
They all are amazing. No words to describe my family + Kyle. Love
the continuous support they have given me in life but especially thankful
for the support the last 3+ years while running races.

I think what made a huge difference this time was the crowds, carb loading all week, drinking 200+ oz of water daily all week and resting my body. 
My body is SO sore today but life goes on and I will continue to work towards new goals once I am recovered. My next race is Thanksgiving Day and I am super excited! 

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah! I hope all is well with you. You and Josh are SO cute, every time I see a picture I instantly smile for you - you look happy! :)

      Delete